mardi 17 février 2015

Greywalker ( Greywalker 1) by Kat Richardson

Hi!

           Now that i got the needed medecine i hope i will manage to get back on track  health side and bookish side as well but i will take the rest of the month  at a slower rythm because as much as i can want it healing is not something that can be rushed ( never underestimate the flu either).

 But doing things at the rythm i need does not mean being lazy or forgetting you so to continue with my idea from the beginning of the year it's time for a new to me author ( and series) as i finally discovered the Greywalker series thanks to Carien.

Happy reading!
Publisher: Roc
Publication: 2006
ISBN:  0373277210
Genre: urban fantasy
Violence: mild

Language: normal
sex: none
Public: 18+
Source: gifted

Short description from goodreads :


 When Harper comes to in the hospital, she begins to feel a bit ...strange. She sees things that can only be described as weird-shapes emerging from a foggy grey mist, snarling teeth, creatures roaring.But Harper's not crazy. Her "death" has made her a Greywalker-able to move between our world and the mysterious, cross-over zone where things that go bump in the night exist. And her new gift (or curse) is about to drag her into that world of vampires and ghosts, magic and witches, necromancers and sinister artifacts. Whether she likes it or not.

My opinion:
          Greywalker was quite a good surprise, this series was recommended to me but the opinions were sometimes quite varied...so I did hesitate before starting this book and I do regret it a little. While it’s not fully original it has vampire, ghosts, and werewolves perhaps, as most urban fantasy it still has some novelty touch that had me intrigued. I loved the idea of the “grey” this kind of parallel world and how it was explained.

I also liked the Heroine Harper Blaine quite a lot even if her scepticism did get on my nerves one or twice…after all I’m not sure I would have reacted better in her situation. She is a private investigator so we had quite a few plots in this book but they got intertwined with each other making the story even more attractive in my opinion as we were not loosing track of one or another.

I also was smiling and more at some point… I mean how is that in several urban fantasy tales I have read the character does not flinch or nearly at blood contract, blood exchange, sacrifice etc….but get all suspicious when a vampire keeps his word and pay his due with a check….money is so wicked ; )  really I could only laugh at that part.

 I do hope we will learn more about Albert and Quinton as I do enjoy them. Mara and Ben were also good secondary characters and I’m sure Harper will still need their knowledge for a bit… only Wyogan I’m not sure what to think of him yet… I hate him yes, he has me on edge but what he is and what are his goals, the author kept the mysteries well.

It was a new to me author and series but I’m really glad to already have book 2 in my pile because I’m sure I will continue this series for a moment at least. While it’s not exceptional it’s a good urban fantasy to try



Score:  3,5/5

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and no compensation was received in exchange for this review

Challenges:

4 commentaires:

  1. Kat Richardson is also in my TBR pile. In her Graywalker series I have Greywalker, Poltergeist, Underground, and Vanished. And I have read her short stories: The Werewolf Before Christmas and Chemotherapy. Thanks for the review and reminder for me to get back to reading this series.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. i only have the first two books so once again you are far ahead but i'm glad to have reminded you tjhis series ( with so many good ones we can't remember everything^^)

      Supprimer
  2. J'avais bien aimé le premier et second tome même si c'est vrai que je n'en garde pas un gros souvenir, il faudra que je continue un jour.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. oh tu en as lu plus que moi alors, oui continuer la série serait bien mais comme souvent c'est plus le temps que l'envie qui manque^^

      Supprimer