mercredi 6 mai 2015

Free Agent ( Grimm Agency 1) by J. C. Nelson

Hi!

            i'm coming today between the numerous storms to share with you my opinion on Free Agent by J. C. Nelson, book that i was lucky to receive as a birthday gift this year and that i've read during my april reading challenge.
I do hope all of you have ( or had) a good day!

Happy reading!
Publisher: Ace
Publication: 2014
ISBN:  0425272672
Genre: urban fantasy, fae
Violence: mild

Language: normal
sex: none
Public: 18+
Source: gifted
 


Description from goodreads :

 When it comes to crafting happily-ever-afters, the Agency is the best in the land of Kingdom. The Fairy Godfather Grimm can solve any problem—from eliminating imps to finding prince charming—as long as you can pay the price…

Working for Grimm isn’t Marissa Locks’s dream job. But when your parents trade you to a Fairy Godfather for a miracle, you don’t have many career options. To pay off her parents’ debt and earn her freedom, Marissa must do whatever Grimm asks, no matter what fairy-tale fiasco she’s called on to deal with.

Setting up a second-rate princess with a first-class prince is just another day at the office. But when the matchmaking goes wrong, Marissa and Grimm find themselves in a bigger magical muddle than ever before. Not only has the prince gone missing, but the Fae are gearing up to attack Kingdom, and a new Fairy Godmother is sniffing around Grimm’s turf, threatening Marissa with the one thing she can’t resist: her heart’s wishes.


Now Marissa will have to take on Fairies, Fae, dragons, and princesses to save the realm—or give up any hope of ever getting her happy ending…

My opinion:
          I’m becoming more and more interested in the fae since I’ve discovered the October Daye series so when I learned of this book I had  to read it , even more after receiving recommendations from friends and bloggers alike telling me how much ( and fast) I should read this. Let me tell you I haven’t been disappointed at all.

I really enjoyed this book greatly with the original  fae and faeries universe J. C. Nelson created. It was funny and captivating, the suspense was well built, the intrigue keeping its interest until the end. I have read more about the fae than about the faeries ( for the little difference those terms include in this universe) so for me it was really interesting and will perhaps makes me try more retelling as well.

Remember your childhood stories about princes and princesses locked in towers? In this universes princes, princesses and a lot of others are not only statuts it become nature, the core of the character’s identity… strange? A little but you get easily into the mechanics of the world… the same poison won’t work the same depending on the receiver being, human, faeries, or a specific class of characters like a princess for example… some have immunity or particular results and consequences… it was funny to discover those or try to guess other.

Marissa’s job is to make wish come true since she works for a godfather….she did not choose that job but she must do it to earn her freedom… we discover how it happened along the story but more importantly…we learn bits of a bigger secret hiding…and I do wonder the real identity of Marissa and would be really curious to find more info along the series.  Her relation with Grimm seems more complex that it appears at first read/ glance.
I do love her personality as well, she is loyal, determined and at the same time she is hurt deep inside and try to hide it…without loosing her compassion. She is also prone to disaster from those we are told about and those we can see…being her friend is not something you are for the quiet and peace^^;;

Grimm we still don’t know a lot about him but he does seems to care for his agent in its own way.  I like his humour and his way of thinking isn’t always too twisted on contrary it does make sense more often than not.
 The secondary character like Ari and Liam are also terribly interesting and we do learn more about them than about Marissa in my opinion.. others like Evangeline can be unsettling ^^;; ( and I’m happy she isn’t my driver;) )

I don’t want to tell you too much about the story itself as each detail is important and the mystery a big part of it but I can tell you that it is quite fast paced, the action is catching you in its web, the humour, sometimes quite sarcastic is delightful and you get some closure with this book even if you will want more nevertheless.

Score:  4,5/5

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and no compensation was received in exchange for this review


Challenges:


4 commentaires:

  1. Je ne pense pas avoir aimé autant que toi mais je trouve aussi que cette série est très sympa ! Je suis curieuse du 3 !

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I love October Daye, so I think I'd like this one as well. Great review!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. it's quite different from october faye series i think ( which is more dark )but it's fun yes so i do hope you like it too

      Supprimer